Monday 11 April 2011

A bad carpenter always blames his tools... except in this case... it IS the equipments fault!

Hello fellow macaroners!

If this is your first attempt at macarons, then be prepared to get through a fair few batches and washing up sessions before you produce something that resembles what we all love! I am yet to have a success! But have recently invested in PROPER equipment, so can't WAIT to try my next batch!

First and foremost, you NEED to make sure that you have the correct equipment. I tried without the correct equipment for 7 batches and surprise surprise...  all fails!

I didn't have a kitchenaid (still don't) but Kenwood's version. Which would have been fine, BUT the whisk attachment was too wide, so whenever I poured in the sugar syrup, it would hit the whisk, go everywhere, so in the end I would be left with a whisk that had just been through a sugar syrup snow storm, and a bowl of over whipped egg whites! NOT a good start! Tried three different methods to try to overcome my equipment failure... even trying the french meringue method! In the end, I managed to persuade myself that I was obsessed enough to invest in some equipment. So I bought an electric mixer. (most households have one, but ours got lost, so had to buy one... £20) I also bought a digital theremometer (£18.50 from Selfridges). It took me A SERIOUSLY long time to find one. But this is definitely a worthwhile investment!

So equipment goes as follows,
Food processor (for almonds)
Sieve (for almonds and icing sugar)
KitchenAid/ electric hand mixer 
Digital Thermometer
Baking Paper
Digital Scales (precision needed)
Piping Bag (disposbale ones from Lakeland are BRILLIANT)
Nozzles for batter (I use a 8 diameter nozzle)

For inspiration, top tips, and a good old browse, go to http://ladymacaron20ten.blogspot.com/ I'd put her up there with Pierre Herme! No joke... just check them out!

Off to try my batch with the pros equipment.... fingers crossed

p.s. when I remember and work out how to put photos up... I'll do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment